- Working Title :
- Business Systems Analyst
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Development Services - Reporting and Data Management
- Salary :
- $50,000 - $55,000.00
- Reports To :
- Associate Director, Reporting and Information Analysis Development Services, Office of University Development
- Experience Range :
- 5 to 7 Years
Business Systems Analyst
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Business Systems Analyst will work closely with other University Development and Unit Development Staff to assist and support the comprehensive fund-raising programs of the University of Michigan. The Business Systems Analyst will help in the creation of reports for analysis of solicitations and projects. This position will also evaluate various courses of action to ensure the integrity of Development data.
This position works in an environment dedicated to advancing the mission of the Office of University Development (OUD) and the University. The position will work to build positive and meaningful relationships with co-workers and customers.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide analytical and technical consulting to a variety of end users, technical staff and external vendors; resolution of complex data or application problems.
65% Reporting, Data Delivery & Process Automation
- Develop new, modify and run existing reports utilizing Business Objects, SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio.
- Provide ad hoc information retrieval using a variety of technical query writing or system tools, reports or programs.
- Evaluate requests to determine best method for data retrieval.
- Develop and execute complex queries in SQL Server, Oracle, and Business Objects to extract data.
- Recommend new data fields and assist in the creation and maintenance of new data elements within the Development data set.
- Using the MS SQL Server suite, automate reporting and data processes and tasks to save time and create advanced and dynamic business data solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience working with information systems. It is critical to have a clear understanding and vision of how best to deploy information to an end-user community via the Internet. Extensive experience with UM Data Delivery Environment.
- A bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field, or equivalent job experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the services and capabilities of the installation and operation of systems including Oracle, Business Objects, SQL Server 2008 Management Studio and Business Intelligence Development Studio.
- Basic working knowledge of SQL; able to write basic SQL queries
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office products; demonstrated use of the advanced features (including interconnectivity) of the Office suite.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines in an opportunity driven, fast paced and changing environment.
- Considerable knowledge and experience working with users to develop specifications to meet their applications needs.
- Reasonable experience in effectively communicating complex technical concepts and information to a wide range of users.
- Desire to learn the mission, goals and objectives of both the University of Michigan, as well as those of the Office of University Development and work in ways that help us achieve these. Desire to enhance and improve the University of Michigan’s position as an international leader in Development.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to perform the characteristic duties and responsibilities of the position to effectively meet the needs of prospects, donors and the University of Michigan community. Ability to anticipate requests and needs in advance and plan accordingly.
- Proven history of successful partnerships on multi-discipline teams. A strong interest and demonstrated track record of establishing and maintaining business relationships that facilitate effective business transactions. Sense of the complexities of a central/de-centralized environment and the need to be aware of the subtleties of working simultaneously with University and Unit based Development staff. Negotiating skills and consensus builder.
- Effective time management, problem-solving and analytical skills. Ability to forecast timelines and consistently meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to transfer knowledge, train and explain concepts included in the characteristic duties and responsibilities of the position to people who may not understand the roles and responsibilities of Development Services.
- All Development Services staff will be expected to have a working knowledge of fundraising and financial data with the ability to understand differences between the two.
- Knowledge of/or ability to learn best practices in development, fundraising and community service as recommended by related umbrella organizations such as CASE, NACUBO and others. Desire to stay current on industry trends by monitoring various media, peer networking and professional development.
- Knowledgeable of concepts of public information and the Freedom of Information Act and an understanding of the repercussions if information is inaccurate or compromised.
- Working knowledge of terminology and concepts related to databases, data manipulation and delivery and business intelligence. Basic understanding of Internet terms and the ways data can be delivered through a online environment.
- Strong SQL coding skills desired.
- Knowledgeable in use of SSIS, SSRS or SSAS.
- MS Visual Basic or Microsoft Visual Studio experience.
Application Deadline: Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.