- Job Category :
- Fundraising - Major Gift Officer
- Reports To :
- Director of Development, Internal Medicine
- Experience Range :
- 2 to 5 Years
Major Gifts Associate
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan continues to thrive in its goal of training the world's finest medical scientists as well expanding research and patients initiatives. Development income is becoming increasingly more critical to fund these vital objectives.
As an early career member of the Development Department for Internal medicine, the Major Gifts Associate will assist the efforts of major gift officers and further the donor-focused mission of the department through prospect and grateful patient cultivation and engaging alumni.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Qualify potential prospects via phone conversations, prospect screening and/or one-to-one conversations or visits.
- Attend and participate in strategy sessions with Major Gifts Officers which focus on departmental philanthropic priorities.
- Assist in arranging donor meetings for the Major Gift Team members.
- Collaborate with Major Gift Officers, team members and physicians to plan, implement and staff donor engagement opportunities, such as research presentations, events, small group tours/campus visits, alumni societies, receptions and newsletters.
- Collaborate with team members to create and manage an annual appeal to acquire new donors and provide additional funding source to the department development priorities.
- Organize and manage prospect lists to coordinate strategic engagement of current and potential donors.
- Maintain departmental pipeline and metrics reports for the Major Gifts Team.
- Complete other projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience with demonstrated successes.
- Two to four years experience in development, event planning or marketing.
- Working knowledge of personal computers, word processing, spreadsheets, and database software.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent project management skills, including organizing tasks and materials
- Discretion and maturity to understand and support complex donor relationships, financial data and confidentiality.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and display excellent judgment, while operating in flexible and professional manner
- Required to work some weekend days and evenings.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.