- Job Category :
- Administrative, Event Planning
- Reports To :
- Producer, Private Events, Office of University and Development Events
- Experience Range :
- 0 to 2 Years
Events Assistant (temporary)
This is a temporary assignment.
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Events Assistant will provide assistance to Producers and Event Managers in the planning and execution of logistics for annual ceremonial and development events. Primary responsibilities include guest list management and distribution of reports, providing front-line customer service to guests, and production of event materials. The Events Assistant will provide telephone and reception desk coverage to internal and external constituents, as well as on site support services to event guests and participants. The Events Assistant will provide general administrative support to the Office of University and Development Events, as well as direct support to the Director.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
75% Event Support:
- Design comprehensive databases for tracking guest attendance, including daily input of guest information, management of multiple guest lists, and production and distribution of detailed reports.
- Prepare printed items for events, including: invitations, menu cards, name tags, and place cards.
- Create event documents including agendas, memos, maps, drawings, and other informational materials.
- Schedule event planning meetings and conference rooms, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes.
- Create and maintain event resources on a per event basis, including filing of event materials into notebooks, distribution of event materials to University archives, organization of electronic files on shared network, and storage of photographs, videos, etc.
- Assist Events Managers, as needed, including: vendor follow-up, travel arrangements, preparation of University forms and requisitions, etc.
- Provide on-site staffing for events as requested.
25% Office Support:
- Provide telephone and reception desk coverage for department, as well as for Office of University Development.
- Maintain UDE staff vacation calendar.
- Collect and verify monthly and bi-weekly timesheets and obtain appropriate signatures.
- Coordinate monthly CONCUR reporting for all staff, including scheduling of review with director.
- Oversee inventory and ordering of department event supplies, as well as scheduling and maintenance of department vehicle.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: photocopying, preparing envelopes, scheduling deliveries, department errands, filing, etc.
- A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience using Microsoft Office software and database management software is required, including: FileMaker Pro, Visio, Photo Shop, Access, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
- Superior proofreading ability is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Team approach is required.
- Familiarity with the University organization, policies, rules, and regulations is desirable.
- Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
- Candidate must have experience in gathering information through various methods, including the telephone, e-mail, Internet, and in-person visits.
- Prior office experience is required.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.