- Working Title :
- Events Manager
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Event Planning
- Reports To :
- Associate Director, Ceremonial Events
- Experience Range :
- 2 to 5 Years
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Events Manager will be responsible for logistical arrangements, guest list management, and overall planning and implementation of institution-wide development, ceremonial, and presidential events. The Events Manager will receive direction from the Associate Directors. The Events Manager will supervise the work of assigned Events Assistants on a per-project basis.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
80% Event Management:
* Plan, manage, and execute logistics for University-wide development, ceremonial, and presidential events.
* Oversee facility selection, contract negotiations, food and beverage selections, audio/visual service, transportation, decor, entertainment, etc.
* Provide direction to internal University service departments and external vendors.
* Supervise on-site staff and vendors during events.
* Work in partnership with the Manager of Marketing and Analytics regarding the design, production, and distribution of invitations, printed programs, and other promotional materials.
* Supervise guest list management, as well as support services provided by an assigned Events Assistant.
* Research and recommend budget and process efficiencies.
* Provide budget projections/estimates and reconcile final vendor payments.
20% Consultation, Education, and Special Initiatives:
* Participate and lead special department projects, such as new initiatives in technology, eco-friendly practices, educational opportunities, and project management.
* Monitor event industry standards and stay current on University news, initiatives, policies, and procedures. Provide consultation to University schools, colleges, and units.
* Overtime necessary to include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
* Travel may be required and may occur any time of the year, including holidays.
* Direct supervision is received from the Associate Director, Ceremonial Events.
* Functional supervision is exercised over assigned Events Assistants and temporary staff on a per-project basis.
* A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
* Minimum 2-3 years demonstrated event management experience required.
* Team approach is required.
* Extensive experience in office operations and organizational leadership is necessary.
* Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
* Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
* Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
* Solid knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software is required
* Familiarity with the University organization, policies, and procedures is desirable
* Familiarity with database software (Microsoft Access) is desirable.
* Fundraising experience is desirable.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.