- Working Title :
- Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Unit Service & Strategy
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Marketing and Annual Giving
- Salary :
- $45,000 - $50,000
- Reports To :
- Senior Associate Director, Annual Giving/Unit Service & Strategy
- Experience Range :
- 2 to 5 Years
Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Unit Service & Strategy
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
As a member of the Unit Service and Strategy Team, the Assistant Director assists in the development and coordination of the annual giving programs for the University. In this role, the assistant director serves as an expert consultant and account executive for assigned schools, colleges, and units. The Unit Service and Strategy Team ensures that the Annual Giving department and the units it serves utilize the most efficient, creative, and effective annual giving strategies, and is a driving force to explore novel ideas that lead to the creation of new approaches and projects.
This position works in an environment dedicated to advancing the mission of OUD and of the university, and in building positive and meaningful relationships with co-workers and constituents.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
5% - Department Mission and Strategic Plan
* Actively promotes donor-centric approaches to annual giving that take a holistic view of university communications and solicitations. Seek opportunities for unit/university collaboration and cooperation, while achieving strong results for client units.
* Works within department strategic plan to improve level of service, office efficiency, program results, and unit coordination.
55% - Unit Consulting and Service
* For assigned units, works with units' leadership and designees to plan and implement annual giving programs using all appropriate media. Provides expert consultation to units in reviewing performance and planning future efforts.
* Assists in the development of plans for donor development and solicitation improvement. Identify potential prospect groups and develops programs accordingly.
* In collaboration with assigned units, works with Marketing, Communications & Creative Team to develop annual and multi-year strategic communication/solicitation plans and measurable performance targets.
* Provides annual giving expertise, including regular, value-added analysis and program review. Monitors and evaluates program results, market research, and other data to identify new strategic opportunities.
* Provides general consulting and support as needed and appropriate (e.g. board presentations, interview unit candidates, expertise on topics related to annual giving).
20% - Production Process
* Partners with Marketing, Communications & Creative Teams, Project Management Team, and Telefund Team to plan, create, schedule, and evaluate productive, high-quality, cost-effective annual fund solicitation packages for assigned units and university-wide initiatives.
* Provides needed input and information to Marketing & Strategic Planning Team for creation of communication briefs.
* Working closely with Project Management team, monitors production process to ensure deadlines are met and project goals achieved.
10% - Industry Knowledge
Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the Annual Giving field. This includes:
* Participating in peer networking opportunities
* Participating in professional education opportunities
* Monitoring of Annual Giving trade publications and websites
5% - Donor Stewardship
Participates in the ongoing stewardship of donors utilizing a donor centric approach. This includes:
* Responding to donor inquiries and concerns as appropriate
* Route donor inquiries and concerns as appropriate
* Considering and applying methods for donor acknowledgement and education
5% - Additional Duties
* Assists with training and orientation of new staff members
* Completes other projects and duties as assigned
* Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
* Three or more years of experience in annual giving, marketing, or advertising.
* Experience with direct mail, telemarketing, internet marketing, statistical analysis, market research, annual budget planning, project management, print production preferred.
* Excellent oral and written communications skills.
* Working knowledge of personal computers, word processing, spreadsheets, and database software.
* Careful attention to detail.
* Experience in team environment and strong interpersonal skills.
Familiarity with University Policies and Procedures.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.