- Working Title :
- Administrative and Financial Coordinator
- Posting Number :
- Job Category :
- Event Planning
- Reports To :
- Senior Director, Office of University and Development Events
- Experience Range :
- 2 to 5 Years
Administrative and Financial Coordinator
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume as one document on the University of Michigan Careers at the U site.
If you are unable to apply via the U-M Jobs site, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please type in the Job ID# for which you are applying.
For questions about the U-M application process, please refer to the FAQ page
The Administrative and Financial Specialist is responsible for managing and directing the administrative and financial support for the University and Development Events team. This position will exercise considerable discretion and independent judgment while providing leadership and supervision to the Events Assistants and Office Assistant, and working closely in coordinating work flow, project support and communications between the administrative staff and Associate Directors. The Administrative and Financial Specialist will also be responsible for providing direct support to the Senior Director. This position has oversight and responsibility for creating budget spreadsheets for approximately 125 events annually, including tracking of all event expenses and reconciliation with monthly statements. The Administrative and Financial Specialist will also assist the Senior Director and team with special projects as needed.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
45% Staff and Office Management
- Work closely with Associate Directors and Event Managers to determine staff support needs for upcoming events.
- Provide leadership to team of Event Assistants, including assignment of new events, coordination of schedules, phone coverage, problem-solving, etc.
- Monitor workloads across the Events Assistants team, and coordinate and collaborate closely with Associate Directors to understand and manage event assisgnments and priorities for Events Assistants.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for administrative work load and flow questions within the UDE team.
- Manage all aspects of administration for events support. Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and mentor the Events Assistants and Office Assistant.
- Conduct performance reviews for Events Assistants and Office Assistant, with consultation and input from Senior Director and Associate Directors.
- Hire and supervise student and temporary staff as needed.
- Provide centralized coordination of and serve as project manager for all aspects of program administration.
- Develop, implement, review, and maintain administrative infrastructure and systems for the UDE team; develop and maintain documented standard operating procedures for routine tasks.
- Schedule department staff meetings, prepare meeting agendas, and compile meeting minutes
- Create and maintain department Procedures Manual
- Coordinate special projects for UDE team as needed, and delegate project leads, as appropriate.
40% Budget Finance
- Using Microsoft Excel and other programs as appropriate, create, maintain and evaluate budget spreadsheets for approximately 125 events annually.
- Enter all event expenses into budget spreadsheets
- Reconcile budget spreadsheets against monthly Statement of Account
- Work closely with Senior Director and Associate Directors to determine preliminary budget estimates for events and communicate any discrepancies in a timely manner
- Work in partnership with Development Finance and Administration to resolve billing questions or errors
15% Administrative Support to Senior Director:
- Manage calendar, schedule meetings, anticipate needs, and exercise discretion and judgment as appropriate
- Support Senior Director in serving as a liaison to the Board of Regents, including: manage special requests, provide excellent and timely customer service, and maintain confidentiality
- Oversee football ticket distribution, including: invoicing, collections, tracking, and distribution. Provide leadership and serve as a resource to staff assigned to support this project. Coordinate with Development Services regarding database and technical support. Coordinate with Development Finance and Administration regarding financial processing and cash/credit compliance requirements. Document procedures in a comprehensive training manual.
- Support Senior Director with correspondence and travel arrangements for bowl games and other special events.
- Draft and produce annual ceremonial event memos for Platform Party, as well as prepare memos to new Platform Party members
- Create and maintain various filing systems
- Overtime is required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Overtime in the office averages 0-4 hours per week during September-April. Generally, less overtime is required during May-August. In addition to overtime in the office, additional overtime may be required for onsite event staffing. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and the total amount of overtime required from candidate will vary from week to week based on the schedule of events.
- A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in financial or budget management.
- Minimum of 2 years in administrative support experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of staff leadership and management experience required.
- Team approach is required.
- Must demonstrate the ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
- Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
- Superior proofreading ability and written and oral communications skills are required.
- Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
- Extensive knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software. Advanced level experience with Excel is required for this position.
- Familiarity with the University organization, policies, and procedures is desirable.
Mission StatementThe Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
U-M EEO/AA Statement: The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.